Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Friday, July 20, 2012

Staying the Compass

Today, I  set aside the day to have fun with my fellow Noble Circle Sister, Dallis Hardwick.  Dallis doesn't live too far away, but we don't see each other that often, which is a pity as she's really fun and wonderful to talk to....stimulating because she uses big words too. ;)  She's also an ardent beader...making woven bead necklaces and items... She also has a cool accent as she's from Oz.

We had lunch at a local restaurant called the Tin Roof.  Housed in  the 1930s boat house on city land which is in the area known as Treasure Island, it boasts a wonderful view of the Miami River and pretty good food as most of it is made on site (especially their baked goods which we didn't partake of).  If I would have had my head on, I would have taken a picture...but I didn't.

Dallis is another Stage IV breast cancer survivor and she has been on Xeloda, the drug I am on for over a year and has been remarkably stable, even doing away with the liver metastases, so I look to her for advice on the side effects, even though she is following a slightly different protocol than I am.


After lunch, we drove over the see the Aullwood art quilt exhibition....which once again was really wonderful. Small, but wonderful.  I am gathering permissions to post the pieces so we will start the tour as soon as I hear from folks....


Tomorrow should be a fun day too as the Miami Valley Art Quilt Network is having their annual picnic....now I just have to figure out what I'm going to bring! I keep changing my mind.


The photo shows"Compass Plant" (Silphium lanciniatum)  growing outside the Aullwood Nature Center.  I actually took this shot at about the same time of year in 2010.  This year, they are very short (only about 4 - 5 feet instead of the 8 - 9 feet these were) and are ill looking. The surrounding area is all brown....the drought has taken its toll.  These cool, hairy leaved prairie plants are natives, and get their common name from the fact that the plant aligns it's leaves north/south in order to present the least amount of  surface area to the hot summer sun.  They have a tap root which grows up to 14" deep, usually making them resistant to drought...but even so, they are not as vigorous as usual. 


Native Americans used the plant to rid themselves of worms and as a treatment for asthma and coughs. 

1 comment:

Roxane Lessa said...

I'm glad you are taking some fun time for yourself!