Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Friday, December 23, 2011

An Abundance of Joy!

 So, tonight I'm bringing you more thoughts on joy....maybe just for a moment, you can take a breath and enjoy these things.

Several of my friends said that their pets bring them joy....(of course, they can also bring consternation!).

One thing which brings me joy is home-made items...I love them.  This year, I was fortunate to receive two home-made Christmas cards.  I really appreciate the time that each of my friends put into making these.  The top one is from Joan Sterr, a member of the Miami Valley Art Quilt Network.
 This one is one Carol Magato, a gardening friend who lives across the way and has her own business making memory bears.

If you have been a reader for a while, you might recognize Joan's name as she makes delightful quilts and last year made me a clever Christmas card as well.  I wrote about it here. 

For me, lots of things bring me joy.  Sometimes I think I'm a tad simple because I laugh at so many things, and get pleasure from such small things.  Laughing is one of my favorite things to do...

Joy can come in the light in a barn, shining golden with fairy dust flitting through in the cracks.  The long light in the morning and just before sunset...sunlight breaking through dark, heavy clouds...making long beams that I used to think of as angel slides.

I find joy in learning, and in lecturing.  I find joy in my family...yes,  even my family of origin....or perhaps especially my family of origin.  Being with friends....quilting (especially hand piecing).  Sun on water, the sweetness of the Great Lakes.  Hoar frost.  Sandhill cranes flying south.  A warm bed.  Sugar cookies.  A dog's adoring eyes, and even better....training a dog so that it obeys with hand signals.  The smell of leaves.  A baby's skin.  An old lady's wrinkled cheek.  A cat who loves you. A pastellito and a cup of coffee while sitting near the ocean.  Praying mantis in my garden.  A lily freshly opened.  Singing. A warm breeze.  Warm rain.  A huge moon.  The Milky Way as seen from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan or another place where light pollution isn't evident'.  Moonlight on the snow. .  Cut Bank Creek.  The colors turquoise, cobalt blue and scarlet.  When my daughter says I've made an awesome meal 

I have always loved the surge of power when I ride my road bike, and the rush when you're flying down a trail side on a mountain bike making decisions quickly.  At one time, I was indeed a bicycling speed merchant.
There's a lot that brings me joy.  For now, I'll leave you with what Joan wrote on the inside of her card.....and consider it applying to you as you read it.  

A Christmas Blessing

May your presents be tall,
And your troubles be small.
May you get all the blessings you need.
May your art fill your soul,
And fun play a role. 
May you have everything you need to succeed.

No comments: