Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Visitors to my Garden: Sphinx Moth




I have been working very hard in my garden. I've been madly weeding, spreading mulch and trying to figure out how I'm going to thin out some of the plants (I have a tendency to plant too closely) and to divide and try to save more of my iris (the iris borer is doing significant damage).


In June, this HUGE moth was taking a sip from a water droplet on a daylily (hemerocallis) leaf. I left my index finger in the photo so you could see exactly how huge this guy really is. I also thought it was really neat how his patterning on his wings and body mimic the shadow that leaves would have . Somehow I feel a series of quilts based on visitors to my garden coming on.


I'm certainly glad that this moth isn't the mother for the iris borer!

No comments: