Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Breaking Barriers Program and ideas of what to do with an un-needed stash of fabric



The huge size of this daylily, Hemerocallis "Open Hearth" seemed appropriate for the "open hearts" that many quilters seem to have.


I've had a couple of people ask me how to donate fabric and or tools to the Breaking Barriers program at the Marysville Correctional Institute.

I contacted Jami Burns who told me that while her program is the only one that she knows of which teaches women to make art quilts, most women's correctional facilities have "stitching posts" which make service quilts for various communities and needs. She said that the women love it and feel much better about themselves when they are giving back.


I would suggest contacting the chaplains or activities coordinators in the areas in which you live so that you don't have to incur expenses in shipping (however, if you want to ship, I'm sure you can ask about that as well). Do a "google" search on Women's correctional facilities with your state's name, for instance "Women's correctional facilities New York. You should turn up a list and you may actually be directed to a state web page.


I also wanted to point out that you can now see ALL of the Breaking Barriers quilts on the Sacred Threads Quilt website. The quilts were not included in the CD as they weren't ready to be photographed and included at the time the CD was being made. The URL for the Sacred Threads show is http://www.sacredthreadsquilts.com/


I have heard, but I cannot corroborate at this point that the Rosebud Sioux Tribe also takes fabrics and sewing materials for some of it's programs. Their website is http://www.rosebudsiouxtribe-nsn.gov/index.html

No comments: