Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit

There. You're the first people I have spoken too....and hopefully this will bring good luck. Maybe more so because it is the first of the year, as well as being the first of the month.

Huh? You might be thinking. A couple of years ago, when I used to rise early at 5:00 a.m. and go out walking with my neighbor at 5:15...which was ungodly in this part of the world in the winter (it is the coldest part of the night..but she was a school teacher and if we were to walk in the morning, then thats when it had to be), on the first of the month she would greet me with "Rabbit, Rabbit."

According to tradition in some English speaking parts of the world, to greet someone thusly on the first of the month upon rising, would bring you good luck. See more here. I find it a little odd in retrospect, because my neighbor is from the Youngstown, OH area and supposedly the origin in the U.S. is from Massachusetts....only I had never heard of it even though I had lived in Connecticut for more than 20 years.


Never the less, it seems appropriate for the first of the year....especially one which in the Chinese zodiac will bring us the year of the metal rabbit on February 3rd as well as the fact that my niece has a large house bunny named Derby and my husband's cousin has a very spoiled little Dutch house bunny named Nibbles...only I call her Princess Nibbles since she's so spoiled....

Well, now that I've wished you good luck in the New Year AND said "Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit," I'm off to stick the turkey breast in the crock pot and go up to finish my quilt. :)

1 comment:

Shady Character said...

Sorry I'm too late to do "Rabbit, Rabbit" this year, but Happy New Year anyway! :)