Last month, for Fast Friday Fabric Challenge, I hosted the challenge and wanted people to explore texture. For my submission, I did a realistic sort of heart.... I took some strange braided Mylar tubing which I purchased on clearance after Christmas. I think it was intended for specialty gift wrapping. I machine appliqued it down, then made the various parts of the heart, hand stitching the blood vessels with perle cotton, then adding machine stitching over the top. Each segment was stuffed to give it dimension. I added an EKG line which I based on a "normal" EKG I found on line...(only my nurse friends said that if they saw a line like that, they would be very concerned about the patient.
Hopefully, you can see it a bit better in this version. This isn't completely finished, in fact the tape you see around the edges was to help me stop quilting at a quarter of an inch from the edge.....but for some reason, my Bernina was having fits....I broke three needles (size 100) trying to quilt through a layer of monk's cloth (the background) fused to Decor Bond, a layer of warm and natural and a backing of plain cotton. The needle went down on the stroke, hesitated then broke the needle....and I wasn't moving the quilt sandwich. So, I wasn't able to finish it and off the machine went to see what was wrong with it (according to the Bernina shop....nothing....).
One of the FFFC participants suggested that I add more lines of ekg....which was bobbin work with blue perle cotton. I have added lines in Photoshop (none too well I might add) to see what it looks like. What do you think? Should I add more lines? Inquiring minds want to know.
Since my hands are not being very happy or useful, I wasn't able to hand applique these pieces down..my preferred method. Instead, I used Mistyfuse to help me out.
Here's what I did....
I took a little strip of left over Mistyfuse....I know it is hard to see, but you can really get an idea about how thin this stuff is. You really can't feel it if you are hand quilting through it and it doesn't stiffen the fabric much at all.
I took the piece I wanted to applique, and ironed the freezer paper template over the top, on the RIGHT side.
The freezer paper gives me an edge to turn the fabric against.
I tucked the piece of Mistyfuse under the turned edge, which I am holding here with a chopstick, and ironed the edge down with my little Clover iron.
I know you can't really see it against the Reynold's Baking Parchment...and I apologize...I was using a friend's ironing board and I didn't want to risk leaving anything behind...and I had forgotten to tuck my Goddess Sheet (Attached Inc.'s teflon sheet) in my work bag.
After a few seconds, I pull the "tail" of the Mistyfuse away....it melts and is quite easy to do, leaving the adhesive behind.
If I were really doing this, I would go around the entire edge, but this is being held well. When I finish fusing the entire thing, I smack it down flat one more time.
Iris says she is working on bringing out some smaller "rolls" of Mistyfuse. I'd love it...I think I really want 1/2" and 1/4" rolls....This would also be great for fusing bindings...
Once again, I am participating in Nina-Marie Sayre's "Off the Wall Fiber Friday" and for once, I'm actually posting on a Friday! Yay!
You can see everyone else's posts if you go to her blog here.
Please also keep on checking Pozible's listing for the fund raising for the Tent Maker's of Cairo! We're almost there, but they still have a bit to go!
Thanks also to Lynn Mosher who took the photos while my hands were otherwise occupied.