Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Book Review: Art Quilt Portfolio: People & Portraits by Martha Sielman

A couple of weeks ago, I received a review copy of Martha Sielman's  People & Portraits from Lark  .  I have been waiting to get some more photos to share from you...but I feel that I must sidestep that in order for you to really get in on this wonderful book.

Once again, Martha has collected works from fiber artists from around the world.  21 artists are featured in depth, with a gallery of 120 other artists filling the pages in a riot of wonderful, inspiring and delightful images.

Each feature artist was supplied with questions about their work.  Their answers are enlightening and well thought out.  For people who are interested, most include sections on method, technique and inspiration.  Although Martha lists the home countries of the featured artists, she doesn't include this in the feature articles...unless it has bearing on the work. I suppose that this is appropriate, but I would like to know where these artists work as in some cases, I keep on wondering "how could I have missed out on this before?"

One case where the artist's environs have impacted her art is Bodil Gardner. Bodil's work has a joyfull, childlike aspect to it and I am pleased to see that she was included here.

Here's Amazon's Peek Inside so you can get a better understanding of what's included.

I have been struggling lately...both from a lack of energy as well as hitting a creative wall.  I have always found that visiting museums and galleries is a great way to jump start creativity.  Unfortunately, that's not a possibility for me right now, but I'm happy to say that taking a walk through this volume, as well as its predecessor  is almost as good and certainly enough to give me that creative push at present that I so desperately need.

I highly recommend it!


  • Paperback: 192 pages
  • Publisher: Lark Crafts (April 2, 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1454703512
  • ISBN-13: 978-1454703518
  • Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.6 x 10 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 1.6 pounds 



1 comment:

Sally said...

Stunning quilts....I will definitely have to check that book out!