Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Champaign Quilter's Guild Show-the Small but Mighty!

Part of the exhibition hall at the Champaign Quilter's Guild show

On Sunday, October 21, I wrote about the Towne Square Quilter's Guild show in Greenville, Ohio and mentioned that I took in a second show that day in Urbana, Ohio.  I usually don't take in two shows on the same weekend, but this day I took in two on the same day...separated by an hour and half's driving.

I went to the Urbana show in order to see the work of the guild and what they were interested in since one of their member's contacted me to give them a lecture next spring.  I try to tailor my lectures to the interests of each guild.  I have to say that I will put the Urbana show on my calendar from now on.  The work was exquisite and the show facilities were very pleasant. I also didn't mind my drive through rural Ohio on a gorgeous fall day...I didn't even mind getting caught in a Ohio Parade....driving slowly behind a seeder until it was safe to pass.

Outstanding applique work at Champaign show.
Here you can get a sense of the absolutely exquisite applique work.  The rows were filled with incredible applique and very fine piecing with a couple of antique quilts thrown in for fun.  The first applique quilt you see on the left is Marilyn Hiltibran's rendition of Edyta Sitar's pattern, "The Laundry Basket Chorus."  Sharon Vitt machine quilted it.  The second piece is Marcia Switzer's "Ginger People", excellently machine quilted by my friend Chris Landis.




I love Birds, by Emily Miller

This nicely done fussy cut pieced quilt was Emily Miller's first quilt.  I have to say, she did an excellent job for a first attempt.  My friend Joan Sterr machine quilted it on her HQ-16.   I included a detail so you could see how she matched all her points, and didn't cut off a single one!












"I Love Birds," detail













Marily Hiltibran's "Sunflower Hill."

Marilyn Hiltibran did this wonderful hand appliqued piece, "Sunflower Hill," designed by Julie Popa and machine quilted by Janet Amlin.

I am going to show a couple more pieces from Urbana over the next couple of days.

No comments: