November's Fast Friday Fabric Challenge is almost done. I am embarrassed a little by these pictures....as well as the fact that I didn't get these completely finished. The challenge was to use one shape. You could use any colors or technique, but you needed to pay attention to rhythm, balance and the other facets of design.
I did something completely out of the ordinary for me....I don't usually just do random sort of hunks...and these rectangles fit that. They are cut from quilter's lame, and polyester "silk" and layered, sometimes under, sometimes over a gold organdy florist's ribbon. The base fabric is 100% silk. I zigzagged them down to give extra texture. The whole piece measure 29" wide by 26 1/2" tall.
I then wondered what beads would look like...and I layed these over the top. Hmmm. I also decided it would be prudent to quilt a sample before I settled on the quilting pattern for the large one. So, I made this little 13" x 12" sample. I quilted it...and still was thinking about beads, so I decided to start stitching beads. Now mind you, I took a beading class with Mary Stori in Bloomington, Indiana a couple of years ago, but for the most part, I don't bead. How long could beading take?
I like the beads on this little piece, but I'm not sure I want to do that with the larger one. I've been working on it while I'm in the treatment room and then again today while I was in the oncologist's office waiting for him to come in.
I kept on thinking "Oh boy, I hope I don't drop these beads. Then, I dropped the little tray full of beads. Just then, he came in. You know you have a good guy for an oncologist when he helped me pick up all the beads. Both of us were scurrying around on the ground. He asked me where I got the beads because as it turns out, one of his hobbies is tying flies.
Anyway, I hope to put these back when they are done. I'm just really fatigued and thought I had better get them up before the next challenge comes by.