Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Saturday, September 18, 2010

SAQA Auction!

Recently, I joined the Studio Art Quilts Associates at the gentle push of Vivien Zepf. I wish I hadn't waited so long. Martha Sielman had encouraged me to join years ago....but with the name Studio Art Quilt Associates, I didn't think little ole' me should be associated. After all, my dining room hardly counted as a studio.

In the intervening years, SAQA has grown and puts out a really wonderful journal.

Each year, they have a fund raising auction. This year, it starts on Monday, September 20th at 2:00 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) and will run until 2:00 p.m. EST on October 9. Check out the details here.

I've included some of my favorites, although it is really hard to choose. Some of the pieces are from "big name" people, others are less well known. They are one foot squares and bidding starts at $750, and if it is unsold, it drops each day of the offering. The quilts are offered in three sections.

The lead off piece illustrated here is by Shelley Brucar and is entitled Blustery Day. I love the motion and the colors are ones which always turn my head. This will go in the first section which starts Monday.

A little more subtle, but definitely in my favorite colorways is Goldenrod Galls 5 by BJ Parady. It's little wonder why I like this one...BJ specializes in the colors and wonders of the Midwest.

Now, when you look at this next one, you'll definitely see more of my favorite themes...I know I'm getting monotonous, but I really love these colors and the richness of the gold. Of course, I have a hard time separating this from my other favorites which are turqouises and cobalts, but.....

This is Puzzle by Leslie Carabas. Love that movement!






In contrast, I also appreciate the following pieces for their restraint and simplicity. This is Els Vereycken's Winter. I think one of the reasons it appeals to me is that it is a scene which is really familiar to me. When the snow just dusts the stubble in the fields. Simply done in what looks to be paints, but may be another method, it is highlighted with stitching.











Denise Linet's Roses at Dusk employs similar restraint, but unlike Els Vereycken's piece, it is abstract. Denise uses surface design and various sorts of imagery to construct her pieces. This one also uses stitching to give more texture and contrast.

No comments: