Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Friday, January 6, 2012

Three Kings Day

Today is the Feast of the Epiphany, also known as twelfth night, or three kings day.  Traditionally, it ends the Christmas season and recognizes the day that the Three Wisemen, or the Magi or the Three Kings, reached the manger to worship the Christ Child.

As a child in Cuba, my husband didn't receive gifts on Christmas, instead, they appeared on Three Kings Day.   When he came to the United States in the late 1960s, his family switched over to the American traditions.

In recognition of his Cuban Heritage, I always tried to serve Cuban foods on Three Kings Day and I saved out a couple of gifts for my daughter to open then as well.  In our house, Christmas decorations and lights stay up until the 6th and then they are taken down as I am able to get to them soon after.

I was amused a little while ago when I looked at the nativity set.  I don't know who is responsible, my daughter or my husband....but I suspect my daughter.  Here, you see a ceramic Santa from the early 1960s which was part of my childhood Christmas decorations also worshiping Jesus....just to his right (the left of the picture) are the Three Kings.  Somehow it looks like Joseph is talking to Old St. Nick.....

2 comments:

Del said...

Love the picture and the post. Thanks for adding a smile to my day.

Roniquilts2 said...

That is great!!!! Brought a smile to my heart!! HUGS, Lisa!