Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Friday, November 11, 2011

Dry Spells

 I've been having a dry spell lately.  I guess part of it may be that I'm up to my eyeballs in trying to get things done with the garden (fall clean up, pots taken in, plants brought in and things set to be held over winter) and the house that I'm just too much in that than I am in the art world.  I also have been having some scares....and problems.  I pulled something in my chest while trying to pick up a 15 - 20 pound stone to replace on my pond's waterfall, then this week I managed to trip over a rolling step stool in the library and now my hip has been hurting terrifically.

Today and yesterday, I've been trying to work with notan elements as well as trying to get my last Dayton Landmarks slice quilted.  I've ripped it out three times.  I'm finding that I'm having a hard time controlling my quilting and I am guessing that it is still the nerve damage. So, I hauled out a printed panel and started practicing, just outlining it and trying to make sure that I stayed cleanly on the lines as well as making sure the stitches are good.  I hate the concept of messing up a quilt just because I don't have the quilting down well.

Sometimes taking a step back and focusing on the mechanics is a good idea. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

I've also been trying to do some sketches for some pieces I want to do....but they aren't coming well.  So, I might just pull a "Pamela Allen" and do it free form/free cutting , no drawing and more abstract.  I WANT to do it in my usual style, but it isn't working for me right now so I have to accept this is where I am at present and give it a shot. Who knows? It might come out well....but I hate the idea that I'm working in Pamela's style, not my own.  . . . Not to say that my pieces will ever be like Pamela's, but still...

I'd be remiss if I didn't thank all veteran's.  We just added a new Vet to our family in Andrew Cole who served in Iraq with the USMC. At left is my dad and my grandmother in the 1940s.

No comments: