Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Monday, November 14, 2011

Autumns Last Glory

Parrotia persica (Persian Ironwood)
 Today was a windy, but Indian summery day.  It is probably the last as 70 degrees isn't normal here at this time of year.  In fact, there were tornado warnings.  This wonderful blue sky shortly later gave way to glowering clouds.

Being that it was such a nice day, I took a quick stroll around the garden to see what colors were left.  Parrotia persica, or commonly called the Persian Ironwood is a really great tree with wonderfully colored leaves.  The dull brown leaves in the back are the same tree as the yellow and red here, but they were older and suffered from the drought we had in the summer.

This tree has grown well in the 6 years I've had it in, although it is still not old enough to show the wonderful exfoliating bark.  Some day.....

Until then, I'll be happy with this.  One caveat though, some green caterpillar thought they'd munch down on this tree this summer...quite a nuisance, although some sort of parasite managed to kill off most of the munchers.

Parrotia, another view.



The other day, I showed you a shot of my winterberry (Ilex vertilcillata) with the gold leaves on it.  They blew off, and you can see the wonderful red berries...at least until the birds decide that they are ready for eating.
Ilex verticillata "sparkleberry"




Ilex verticillata sparkleberry overall.



I think in the spring, this will have to be moved.  I planted a  peach tree whip next to it which has taken off.

Spirea "Mellow yellow" also called "Ogon" I think

Some other great color remains on my spirea.  Once this gets big, it has arching branches with small white flowers.  The leaves in the spring and summer are a yellow green.




Itea "Little Henry"

3 comments:

Diana Angus said...

I loved yesterday's weather, too. I wish I knew as much about flora as you do. I appreciate your sharing of this on your blog.

I am sorry that I could not meet you in person at the Ohio SAQA gathering at Beth's house. I had to be out of town. I am a big admirer of your blog whenever you talk about quilts, art, flora. I appreciate your perspective and am glad I can read about it on your blog.

Shady Character said...

Just when I think I don't like autumn I start noticing the colors. That winterberry is great. Not an easy plant to grow around here except in the wild areas where it seems to thrive.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your kind words, Diana. There'll be other opportunities to meet up!

I wonder why you have a hard time growing Ilex v., shady...you have clay, I have clay (not supposed to be ideal duh....), it is an acid lover, yet I have pretty heavy duty alkaline soil, and although it likes a lot off moisture (it often grows on the margins of swamps), I don't water it and it gets pretty dry here, especially in the late summer/early autumn. Odd.

I'm always annoyed when I THINK I see winterberry in the wild and it turns out to be JAPANESE HONEYSUCKLE! EWWWWWWWWW!