Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sacred Threads Exhibition 2013


On July 10, the 2013 exhibition of Sacred Threads opened at the Floris United Methodist Church in Herndon, VA.  Here's the details:

Location: Floris United Methodist Church, 13600 Frying Pan Road, Herndon, VA 20171 (near Dulles Airport).
Exhibit Dates: July 10-28, 2013
Show Hours: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sunday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Admission: $5
I attended the show in 2009  when it was last here in Reynoldsburg, OH, but it has moved to Herndon, VA.  I wasn't able to go in 2011, and although I had a quilt accepted this year (first time I entered) I wasn't able to attend the opening reception this last Saturday.  I was really bummed when I realized that my body would just not co-operate.  I had looked forward to seeing it in it's new location and to see all the quilts as the first show I saw was really good.  Over 231 quilts were chosen from over   400 entries.  One good thing is that my friend and fellow artist, Debra Bentley was accepted again this year (she had a piece in 2011) and attended, and got a copy of the catalog for me and had people sign it.  Lots of friends have pieces in and attended the opening....some I have met in person and some I only have online relationships with (so far).

Debra told me it was really neat, and was set up in a labyrinth.....that is really cool, and especially so for Deb as her quilt shows a labyrinth!

I mentioned in an earlier post that "View from the Abyss" was accepted.  On thing I never really thought about when making it is.....what it would look like on a black drape (the most common color used in shows.  Nina-Marie Sayre was kind enough to take this shot and send it.  I'm not sure....while it blends in with the backgound, maybe it makes it more mysterious and draws people in to look more closely.  Debra's husband noticed that the people who spent the most time looking at it were men.....Hmm.

Eleanor Levie posed the question on her blog and on the Quiltart message board do quilter's resemble their quilts? For me....I think it is a resounding NO.

The photo below was one of the last ones taken with my real hair.

This photo is one taken with my current wig.  I like color, never wear black. While often rumpled, I am not stringy or heavily textured.  So....I don't think I look like my quilts at all....especially not the most recent....but even my earlier ones, although they use a lot of color.....I don't think I resemble them at all. 

But.....if you get a chance, go to the Sacred Threads show.  They are also having some classes and special activities in conjunction to the show and have made available a catalog and a CD of the quilts on exhibition for purchase.  For more information, go to the website here.

1 comment:

Stacy Hurt said...

Hi Lisa,
I just got my quilts back with the CD. Yours was the first quilt I looked (and listened to) at. Outstanding piece of work, aside from the obvious emotions in the piece the textures and layering of stitches is just perfect! Congrats on this moving and triumphant piece of art!

Stacy