Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Digging Out

Yesterday, we got a pretty prodigious snow storm...really, the first appreciable one of the season although we had some scuffling earlier.  In a lull yesterday, I took a shot of one of the little birds sheltering in my lilac bush outside my dining room window.  At first I was excited because I thought it was a Common Redpoll and my mom had just told me she had seen them at her feeder in Cut Bank, Montana--something she didn't expect.

However, I'm pretty sure that it was merely a Purple Finch.  He has a bright red patch on his head and rump streaks on his breast with the red on his breast being lighter than on his head.

Today was brighter and clearer, although the drifting made the roads treacherous, so I spent the day digging out my office (something I was also doing yesterday and I predict for several days into the future) and my husband was digging out the house.

Here's another shot this time of the feeder.  I was waiting for the male cardinal which was on the opposite side of the feeder to come around...but instead I stuck with the finches and the little nuthatch who came to take advantage of the sunflower seeds.

No comments: