Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Monday, March 7, 2011

Twelve by Twelve: a book Review

I just finished reading my copy of Twelve by Twelve. It is absolutely wonderful!  I pre-ordered it based on the information coming out of the Quiltart.net group.  I can't tell you enough about how wonderful it it.

The Twelve is a group of art quilters who didn't know each other and had different backgrounds and experiences.  They live on three continents and some have never met each other, but they undertook a challenge to do art quilts measuring twelve inches by twelve inches on specific themes.  Interpretation was entirely up to the maker.

The book is set up so that each artist has a segment where they talk in-depth about how they approached  the theme and made their quilts as well as their backgrounds and about their lives and work.  At the bottom of these pages are shorter entries by each of the twelve about their particular piece.

In addition, there are tips on how to form a group, tips on making art quilts and all sorts of things related to the subject.  This is NOT just a coffee table book, or one which is going to sit on the shelf, but one which you can actually learn from.

I loved it!  It is well written and I found myself laughing with the artist or nodding my head in agreement as they discussed something that I struggle with.  I really encourage you to run right out and get a copy or plead with your library to obtain one.  Very few quilting books grab me like this one.  Although it isn't a "pattern book" like many other quilting books (how can it be?)  is is wondeful and just might give you ideas or courage to go out and make an art quilt or two or twelve or form your own group to do something similar to the Twelves.  What a great group of ladies and how wonderful it is to have them share their experience with us.

The TWELVE BY TWELVE group is composed of 12 art quilters, each with numerous awards, articles, and publications among them. Works from several members have been included in a variety of Lark Books, as well as Quilting Arts Magazine. They are: Brenda Gael Smith (Copacabana, NSW, Australia); Deborah Boschert (Lewisville, TX); Diane Perin Hock (Healdsburg, CA); Francoise Jamart (Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium); Gerrie Congdon (Portland, OR); Helen L Conway (St. Helens, Merseyside, UK); Karen Rips (Thousand Oaks, CA); Kirsten Duncan (Townsville, QLD, Australia); Kristin La Flamme (Waipahu, HI); Nikki Wheeler (Poulsbo, WA); Terri Stegmiller (Mandan, ND); Terry Grant (Beaverton, OR).

If you want to follow their current work, take a look at their website:  http://twelveby12.org/

  • Paperback: 176 pages
  • Publisher: Lark Crafts (March 1, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1600596665
  • ISBN-13: 978-1600596667
  • Product Dimensions: 10.9 x 8.3 x 0.6 inches

9 comments:

Diane Perin said...

Lisa, thanks for the wonderful review of the book! I'm so glad you have enjoyed it and I hope you find a lot of inspiration in it! Also, if you start a group be sure and let us know so we can include you on our list of Friends of the Twelves!

Brenda Gael Smith said...

Thank you for your kind review Lisa. We are so excited to be able to share our project in the form of a book and value your feedback.

Gerrie said...

Cool beans, Lisa!! I am so happy you have enjoyed reading our book.

Terry Grant said...

Such a great review! I am so happy that you are enjoying the book so much. We really hoped it would have that personal feeling that you seem to be getting.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Thanks for your fantastic review.

Unknown said...

Thank you ladies! I mean every word of it and if I had more grey matter available at present, I'd write even more and give more specifics.

I really think it is wonderful and I hope that the word spreads. Two years that you've put in in the quilt making and you've really made a superb addition to the resources that people have available.

I hope, if I am able, to bring it to my little local group of new art quilters and encourage them to READ it....not just look at the pretty pictures....even if they are wonderful picture. :) There's a lot to get out of this book and I think it will stand another read through.

Lisa Q.

Kristin L said...

Thank you Lisa! I hope your quilt group enjoys teh book as much as we have and as much as it seems you have too!

Del said...

Lisa - I can't seem to find an e-address for you - it may be that I have yet to learn how to really drill into the Internet possibilities. Would you mind sending it to me? DELQLTSatAOL.com Del

Vivien Zepf said...

This is a book I'm going to have to go out and get, for SURE!