Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Monday, April 8, 2013

Working on Dayton Landmarks Redux St. Mary's


 I've been being a good little doobie and working ever so slowly on my St. Mary's Church for the Dayton Landmarks Redux exhibition.  I need to have it done by the end of this week, and I think I will..but it has been a very busy time around here with lots of distractions.

For the body of the building I am using brick printed fabric which Chris Landis was so kind to share with me.  However I need to show some of the building in shadow. I could paint it, or I could use Shiva Oilsticks to add the shadow..or even just oil pastels, but I think I want to use sheers. This is a layer of netting laid over the print.  Works...but it needs to be a bit stronger.

Attached Inc, the makers of Mistyfuse carry a black fusible web which I like to use as a design element.  It is great to use with dark fabrics, but when yo use it on top of stuff...you can get a really neat effect.

On the right, you can see the black Mistyfuse under the netting and on the left, it just has the netting.








Here's the shape of the building fused.  The far left has no netting on it at all, The center portion has a layer of black illusion netting with a layer of black Mistyfuse, the far right, a layer of black netting (the coarse stuff), a layer of black illusion and the layer of Black Mistyfuse.


One of the things you have to be aware of when using sheers, is that netting and other open fabrics such as lace will have the fusible coming through the holes.  This is great, because you can add other stuff if you so desire, such as Angelina, glitter, or whatever and it will stick to the exposed glue....but it also means you have to be careful.

See all these little black specks on my Goddesss Sheet? (aka Telflon sheet made by Attached Inc.)  If I ignored this and didn't clean it off by brushing it off with a Scotchbrite pad, then it would get all over whatever I was going to fuse next....and this would not be a good thing.

Tomorrow I'll show you how I'm positioning all the building parts and fusing them down.  I've spent several hours adding in stitching line guides (pencil marks) on the pieces as well as cutting them out.  

No comments: