Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Monday, December 24, 2012

Mid-19th Century Doll Quilt

I have a small collection of antique and vintage quilts.  As a former museum curator, I have mixed feelings about it.  Textiles are notoriously difficult to maintain properly.  But, sometimes I come across something that I can't resist.

This little quilt is a wonder.  It measures 10.5" x 11.5".  It is bound on the top edge, and has tiny little prairie points all around the edge.  The dots are carefully hand appliqued on the background cotton and the whole thing is quilted with a simple quilting stitch with a very thin batt.  The red is a turkey red.

Whenever I look at it, I wonder if it was a Christmas present made for a darling niece or granddaughter.  I have no idea of its history because....I bought it with a lot of scrap quilting fabrics on eBay.  I suggest it was made by an aunt or grandmother as I remember my mother saying "oh, mother's rarely had time to make doll clothes and dollie items....those are the area of doting single or older aunts and grandmas!"

So, as my Christmas tree awaits the morrow...I wish you all a good night.  

No comments: