Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Another Tree by Ruth Treon

Several of the Batty Binder's Twisted Stitchers Art group made "practice trees".  These little pieces were ones which they made to try out the techniques before doing them on the exchange quilt.

Ruth made an exact image of the round robin quilt.  She did a great job with the fence.  I have to admit, the tree bugs me a little because of that one drooping limb on the left...very few trees...in fact none that I can think of off the top of my head grow downward like that while the rest move upward...

Can you think of any? I thought about all the willows I've seen....maybe that's it....

At any rate, Ruth did a great job, although she's not pleased with her evergreens.  She pieced them to do the innovative piecing part of the workbook.  we suggested that she maybe use a Shiva paint stick on it or something to add some more snow and some variation in the ground since the value of the snow and the value of the sky are very similar....they bleed into each other.

2 comments:

KAM said...

Lisa
As I sit here at my computer in Montana I look at the Elm tree in my back yard and see multiple branches bending downward - and looking towards the river I see three other large deciduous trees again with down directed branches...and today in the French Essence blog was a picture of a landscape with yes, a tree with downward branch.
Perhaps her branch is a bit too heavy for the scale of the tree, but the fact that a branch heads other than parallel to the ground or upward reaching is not an unusual occurrence in nature.
Just my thoughts...I could take pictures and send to your e-mail if you would like
Kristin

Unknown said...

Kristin, You're right...and you hit on what I think bothers me...it is the scale and heaviness of it...but when I looked at it again, I saw what really was throwing my eye off....look at the crotch, see how the branch is thinner there than on the edge closest to the edge of the image?

I knew that branch bothered me and at first all I could think of was that it was bending down...and all I could come up with as far as "bendy downy trees" was a willow, which this obviously isn't. Of course in thinking on it more fully, apple trees, magnolia and live oak also bend like that. When I was thinking about it initially, I was thinking what we called "Indian Trail Trees" which had limbs artificially bent to mark trails...but this didn't look like that! Thanks for pointing out what the real issue for me was! Weak brain.

I still love how she handled the fence and other elements in this work. The snow on the fence is superb. I love that she's really working on this and she has some great ideas. There's something niggling in the back of my mind that this may even be a tree at her house, but I admit, I haven't looked around her yard as much as I might.