Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Traditional Quilts too

Lest you think that we ONLY had art quilts at the Miami Valley Quilter's Guild show, I'm showing you some of the fantastic traditional quilts.

Just a few of the applique quilts...and I do mean just a few.


We don't have judges come in, but each category has a viewer's choice award, and then a best of show.



A wonderful aplique album, and the stitches are as fine as 19th century work.


The best of show was a tie, with one of the winners being this great applique quilt by Chris Lilly. The piece was large...100" x 84" in the applique bed quilt division, it's called "Around the Garden." The other quilt which won is Lee Peterson's whole cloth quilt which was hand quilted.



One piece which I was intrigued by is this great applique quilt using vintage handkerchiefs. I don't know why it appealed to me so. Perhaps it is because I remember sitting in church as a young girl of about 3, playing with the hankies.

The old ladies would roll up the ends and there would be two babies in a cradle for me to swing. Simple minds amuse easily as I was enthralled by these things....or maybe it was just an early example of my love for textiles.

Unfortunately, at the time I saw the show, there were no labels on this quilt, so I'm going to have to do some reconnaissance work to figure out who it belongs to.




C

1 comment:

Carole said...

Gorgeous! And congratulations to those who make these quilts.... they are an
art unto themselves!