Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Winged Messengers Part 3: And sometimes you make mistakes

My last entry talked about recognizable styles by various quilt artists. One of our MVAQN members went to the show and was fooled! She knew that Pam Geisel was accepted into the show and when she saw this piece, Floating Feather which is by Susan Nash, she thought it was Pam's....until she read the label.

I really like this piece because the thread work in the feather makes it appear as if it is a real feather...floating on the surface. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the colors are among my favorites. I love the richness of the ochres, and turquoise...well, that really is my favorite among the three which vie for the favored category.

Susan is from Ohio and I'll have to look at more of her pieces. If you saw my earlier post about Pam..you're probably scratching your head trying to figure out how anyone could possibly confuse the styles....



Easy. Pam participated in the MVAQN's workshop on The Art Quilt Workbook by the aforesaid Elin Waterston and Jane D'Avila. In the workbook, we were supposed to pick a theme....Pam's was "feathers." Interestingly enough, mine was "things with feathers."

Below is Pam's Threaded Feather , part of her series. You can see the similarity. Check out Pam's website to see more of her "feather" pieces from the workbook.

http://www.forquiltssake.com/ART%20QUILTS.htm

1 comment:

Pam Geisel - For Quilts Sake said...

I love that piece by Susan Nash...wish I'd made it! Thanks for including me in your blog.

-Pam Geisel