Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sacred Threads: Many Faiths

As I said earlier, there is a place for all faiths in the Sacred Threads exhibition. Here is Jutta Halpin's Golden Triangle Buddha. I thought that she did a masterful job at showing the massive Buddha from a realistic, but unusual angle. The gold glitters on the piece even though it is painted silk.

Here's Jutta's artist statement:

"In 2006 I visited Thailand.
I was always intrigued by Buddhism and it was wonderful to learn more about it and see all the different statures in temples and monasteries.


Taking many pictures of different poses and places of Buddha's, I found the "Golden Buddha" at the Golden Triangle, where Laos, Burma and Thailand meet, the most fascinating.


This is a recreation of a photo that I took."


Jutta lives in Glastonbury, Connecticut and her website is full of other lovely images. You may see it here: http://www.purpleturtlearts.com/


I didn't know Jutta when I lived in Connecticut, and I even worked in Glastonbury, but I sure wish I had met her!



I am intrigued by double sided quilts, and I have a couple which I haven't finished (no surprise there). Double sided quilts have a challenge in quilting them so that the quilting makes sense from both sides as well as constructing a "Y" seamed internal sleeve.

In this case, Barbara Forrister chose to make a traditional hanging sleeve but more or less incorporated it into the design on the back.

Barbara's quilt is entitled "The Fertility Goddess" and I love the interplay of the shapes and the colors.

Barbara's artist statement: The Fertility Goddess is an abstract double sided quilt with irregular borders that pays tribute to the deity who looks to the sun and moon cycles to provide fertility, growth and renewal on earth. She is the true embodiment of life and returns each year to nourish her people. Elements of earth cycles, hope and growth are featured throughout this heavily quilted piece with thick metallic threads, paint, beads and Swarovski crystals. Machine pieced, appliquéd and quilted; hand beaded and embroidered.



Here's the back side You can see her label on the lower left and the hanging sleeve.
















This last piece is "Forgiven: A Lenten Study" by Kimberly Mason of Cinebar, Washington. I feel like this is a Lenten banner, and if it is, it is one of several pieces included in the exhibition which were designed as religious banners used in processionals or in houses of worship during special times.

Kimberly's piecing of the cross' background and composition I thought was particularly well done.

Here's Kimberly's artist statement:

"Father (the golden yellow sun), Son (the shining cross on the hill) and the Holy Spirit (the butterfly) are represented above the word that most amazes, inspires and heals me: Forgiven.

Working through this quilt (and it's two sisters quilts) was a healing experience that I am able to share with my family, my friends and my community. I am able to share myself, my love, my peace, hope and faith more fully because I am FORGIVEN."

No comments: