Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Please fund the Tentmakers of Chareh El Kiamhiah

You may recall that back in August I attended the AQS show in Grand Rapids, Michigan and was delighted to be able to see the show Jenny Bowker first brought to England.  While in Egypt, Jenny had met the Egyptian tent makers who were making fantastic pieces of fiber art.  She brought them to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham, England.  When she wrote about this, I thought I would never get to see them, and was spectacularly impressed by the show which the American Quilter's Society sponsored.  I wrote about it here .http://michigoose-life-quilts.blogspot.com/2012/11/stitch-like-egyptian.html

Since that time, Kim Beamish began working on a full length documentary movie about the tent makers whose art is slipping away through modernization (printed textiles replacing the handmade pieces) and from the result of the fewer tourists in Egypt after the Arab Spring.

John Hopper has written a wonderful post on his blog about this.  You can see it here.  You can also see more on Kim Bemish's Facebook Page for the Tentmakers.

In order to help fund the film, you can help by donating through Pozible.    There are only 9 more days to make donations and the film is 80 percent funded.  While it may be the cost of weeks worth of a basic  cup of coffee at Starbucks, this can make a difference in the lives of these men as well as getting the word out about their wonderful art.  I just think of the many times I have squandered $10.  Here is an opportunity to pay it forward.



Please donate. Your account is only charged if the total amount necessary is met.  They are only looking for a total of $20,000 in order to cover production and the "hard costs."

This is my birthday month....and I choose to make a donation in honor of me to this worthy cause. How about you?  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lisa Broberg you are a gem.

Thank you for putting this post up and we really appreciate your support and excitement about the Tentmakers of Cairo and this film. We are really looking forward to meeting our supporter goal and to making a great film. Inshallah!

Thank you again.

Cheers.
Kim Beamish
Producer/Director
The Tentmakers of Chareh El Khiamiah

Unknown said...

It is my absolute pleasure to help out. I was so happy when the exhibition came to Grand Rapids, but I couldn't help but feel for Tarek and Hosam as they were catapulted into these masses of women admiring their work. I had to kneel down to shoot through the throngs around Hosam...and he glanced up and saw me as we were on the same level....

I am so excited, I keep on checking the Pozible site and refreshing it to see how the funds are coming along.....God willing indeed! This work must be preserved....as well as promoted.