Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spring means .....

Almost every day brings new blooms to the garden. Here is a Lewisia, named after Meriweather Lewis, leader of Jefferson's Corps of Discovery who explored and gathered natural specimens of the new territory west of the Missisippi. It's a lovely native, loves akaline soil and good drainage. Alkaline soil I have in spades, the good drainage is provided by tucking it into a little raised bed at the edge of my goldfish pond. they also can tolerate some pretty cold temperatures.

Several different varieties of Lewisia exist, and I'll be darned if I can remember off the top of my head which one this is. I believe it is Lewisia cotyledon but which cultivar I am stuck on.

My brain isn't entirely functioning properly because tonight is Prom night in Troy and several other surrounding towns. Like any other mother of a teenager, I look at this evening with memories of my much simpler Junior prom and thinking that these are times they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.

At the same time, I'm a little concerned that they will get home safely and that all of their memories are good ones, not bad. My daughter is going with a whole group. They rented a bus to take them to Dayton where they had dinner then went to the dance at the Masonic Temple. The gym here probably wouldn't accommodate them all, and from what I hear, they treat the gym floor like it were made of gold anyway. Even my prom was held at a banquet hall at a hotel in Battle Creek, but I'm afraid that our preparations merely consisted of having a computer generated banner with the theme of the prom taped to the wall.

And yes...like many proms in the 1970s and 1980s...the theme song was "Stairway to Heaven." I just hope that there aren't too many bustles in the hedgerows tonight. At least I got the hand applique done on my K.I.S.S. quilt challenge. Tomorrow is quilting it and deciding how I'm going to do the threadwork. Hmm...tomorrow is actually today. !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Do I have your email address?

Husband is fine. We had a sort of comedy of errors, not realizing until we got near the hospital just how really serious it was. I should have called 911, especially when I took a wrong turn toward the ER, with all one-way streets. Now we just have to wait for the tests to see if I was just trying to kill him with health food.