Pages

rocket tracking

Translate

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pancakes, flapjacks, crepes

I've been chasing my tail lately....several things have been occupying my time. I've been thinking about posting, and just don't find the time. One of the blogs I follow, partly because I adore her illustrations and photographs is Jackie Morris' Drawing a Line in Time. Jackie makes lists of what she plans on doing, then crosses out what she accomplishes. I thought about doing this just to keep posting, but I know I would get carried away with it and I also have a tendency to think I'm Super Woman and can do more than humanly possible.


I still have a ton of stuff to catch up on, but I do have a little breathing room, and today I thought I'd share a little piece of the Midwest which I adored as a child.

About three years ago, I was looking through the newspaper and realized how many fund-raising events occur in Troy with dinners and breakfasts. I don't remember them happening so much in Connecticut, but I do remember growing up in Bronson, Michigan and going down to the Firehouse where some group was putting on a pancake dinner.



You could have all the pancakes you wanted. Thick, luscious buttermilk pancakes, served with ham, sausage or bacon, your choice of milk or coffee and orange juice. Back in those days, before I, or anyone else, was very health conscious, I would slather butter, first on the bottom layer next to the plate, then in between each pancake and the top. Life was good...until if you were unlucky enough to be there at about noon or if there was a fire called in as the fire siren would blast you into the next county.











Shortly after I was thinking about this, my neighbor Jim called and asked us if we wanted to go to the Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast. My eyes lighted up.

This morning was the yearly event, and I'm happy to say that it was the best attended, at least during the times we've been there. The top is my plate....Just a little butter, I splurged and put two pats on, usually I don't butter it at all. And yes...those cherries are red sour cherries with sugar added to make them sweet, but not cloying...and not much, if any thickener.
You can see that this WAS an event to attend...

Good thing too, as when I got home, my backyard neighbor had rented a rototiller and offered me the use of it....I wasn't planning on doing that today, I was planning on trying to clean the fishpond and find the leak as well as fixing my amended Tax return (OH WOE is Me! I made a mistake on my taxes which I discovered on April 15, AFTER I had submitted them on April 12....I will get more money back, but at present, I have spent 7 hours on the telephone with Turbo-Tax with a glitch I discovered in their program. I needed that extra large breakfast, even if that also meant I skipped lunch!

1 comment:

Shady Character said...

Yum! I don't know if you have them where you are, but here in Wisconsin we have farm breakfasts. During June, Dairy Month! there are big breakfasts held on farms where a good representation of the milky, cheesy, eggy, grainy, sausagy goodness that's produced here is served. I haven't been to one in years but reading your post makes me want to go!